Hyderabad: Most varsity's money goes for salaries, R&D takes hit

Funds are a big problem for Indian universities due also to mismanagement.

Hyderabad: Universities in India spend nearly 90 per cent of their budget on salaries of faculties and hence they are left with little to focus on development. If we take the case of England, for instance, 60 per cent of the varsity revenue goes for staff salaries and the rest of 40 per cent for infrastructure works and development activities.

Economist and former vice-chancellor of Agra University Professor Mohammed Muzammil shared this information at a technical session on “funding” held at the vice-chancellors’ conference here on Friday. Funds are a big problem for Indian universities due also to mismanagement.

“Normally, funds for these institutions should come from two sources -- from external and internal resources. In India, very little of funds come from external sources. Institutions in some countries in Asia and Africa receive funding from international agencies and research organisations,” he said.

Another speaker, Professor Jandhyala B.G. Tilak said governments are running away from their responsibilities by saying there was lack of private funding in the higher education institutions. However, objectives cannot be met by solely depending on private funding. Prof. N. Kavita Daryani Rao, vice-chancellor for JNAFAU, Hyderabad, stated that they are focusing on improving the relations with the industry. “We offer employment and skill-oriented Fine Arts and Architecture courses and a few industrial houses are showing an interest to assist us,” she said.

Professor R.K. Mishra, director of the Institute of Public Enterprise (IPE), stated that private funding can be tapped with a focused approach. Industries can be approach for R&D (Research and Development) activities, he felt.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story