#NotInMyName: Huge crowds gather across country to protest lynching
Deccan Chronicle | DC Correspondent
The campaign started by film maker Saba Dewan after 16-year-old Junaid Khan was lynched over claims of eating beef'.
Protestors at the Not in My Name campaign in Bengaluru (Photo: Twitter/ @srivatsayb)
New Delhi: Another social media spurred uprising has marked the horizon with a Facebook campaign ‘Not in my name’ against lynching incidents gathering massive support online. The protests have started across the world, voicing out dissent against the numerous lynching incidents in India carried out by self-appointed ‘cow protectors’.
The protests at Jantar Mantar were spearheaded by filmmaker Saba Dewan whose post was the fountain head for this gigantic uprising. Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia was also seen at the venue, protesting in his capacity as a citizen.
"" ... " ' ... pic.twitter.com/SvHffu90bd— Manish Sisodia (@msisodia) June 28, 2017
AAP leader Ashutosh was also part of the crowd.
#NotInMyName pic.twitter.com/rB9eDokYDg— ashutosh (@ashutosh83B) June 28, 2017
The protests at Mumbai were headlined by actors such as Shabana Azmi, Konkona Sen Sharma, Ranvir Shorey, Kalki Koechlin, who braved the heavy rains to voice their opinion.
The event in Bengaluru was attended by veteran actor and filmmaker Girish Karnad and eminent historian Ramachandra Guha.
The campaign started by filmmaker Saba Dewan after 16-year-old Junaid Khan was lynched on a train by a mob over allegations of 'carrying beef’. The campaign which was meant to lead to a protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi has now spread across 11 cities in India. Protests are also being held at London, Toronto, Karachi and Boston on June 29.
Here is the list of venues:
- Delhi: Jantar Mantar
- Kolkata: Dakhinapan premises, next to Madhusudhan Mancha, Dhakuria
- Hyderabad: Tank Bund
- Thiruvananthapuram: The Secreatariat
- Bengaluru: Bangalore Town Hall
- Mumbai: Promenade, Carter Road
- Pune: Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Statue, near Pune Station
- Boston: Harvard Square
- Chennai: Gandhi Statue on Marina Beach
- London: SOAS University of London on Thornhaugh Street
- Chandigarh: Sector 17
- Toronto: 356 Bloor Street East (Sherborne and Bloor)
- Karachi: Outside Karachi Press Club
- Lucknow: Gandhi Park, GPO
- Patna: Outside Kargil Chowk