Nation Current Affairs 28 Feb 2018 Good mango harvest l ...

Good mango harvest likely in Krishnagiri this year

DECCAN CHRONICLE. | SANJEEVI ANANDAN
Published Feb 28, 2018, 4:26 am IST
Updated Feb 28, 2018, 4:26 am IST
Nearly 50 per cent of the mango farmers in Krishnagiri district expect a good harvest in the coming mango season.
A mango tree in full  bloom in Krishnagiri district. (Photo: DC)
 A mango tree in full bloom in Krishnagiri district. (Photo: DC)

KRISHNAGIRI: Nearly 50 per cent of the mango farmers in Krishnagiri district expect a good harvest in the coming mango season as their farms are on full bloom and others wait for the flowering of the trees. “Nearly 50 per cent of the mango farms experience delayed flowering, while the others are already in full bloom,” M. Subramani, a farmer, told DC.

Subramani, President of the Tamil Nadu Farmers Association, himself a mango farmer, added, “the delay was mainly due to the extended winter season in Tamil Nadu. Similar trend was also experienced in the neighbouring states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.” According to the farmers’ leader, there are chances for the farmers to witness powdery mildew attack in their crops due to the extended winter and as a result they have to use fungicides that are increasing the production cost.

 

“The yield cannot be predicted before April because of the chances for the dropping of the flowers if the heat increases, and also if there is no rain spell in March,” Subramanian said. In Krishnagiri, over 40,000 hectares come under mango cultivation. The average yield per hectare (2.45 acres) has been estimated to be around ten tonnes if the climatic condition is favorable.

‘Totapuri mango’ used in the export-oriented mango pulping industries account for 85 per cent of the total extent covered under the mango cultivation in this district. ‘Alphonsa’, ‘Neelam’, ‘Malgova’ and ‘Banganaplli’ varieties are grown in the remaining 15 per cent area to meet the requirement of the local markets, he added.

 

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT