Chennai: Automobile spare parts worth several lakh rupees stored in a godown were gutted in a fire that broke out in a building in Perambur on Sunday night.
Firefighters with four fire tenders battled to control the flame for three hours.
Though no one was injured in the incident, goods and valuables worth several lakh rupees were gutted in the blaze.
According to sources, the fire started at 10 pm on Sunday night when only a security guard was present in the godown.
He allegedly noticed smoke emanating from the spare parts godown and immediately alerted the fire control room.
Two fire tenders from Tondiarpet, one from Washermenpet and one from Kondithoppu were brought to the spot to douse the fire.
"Primary investigation shows the fire to have originated due to a short circuit in the basement. Since the fire broke out on Sunday night, no one was injured," sources said.
However, the entire building has been damaged and goods destroyed in the fire.
Esplanade police have filed a case and are probing whether it was only an accident....