Hyderabad: RBVRR Women’s College, Narayanguda, where over 2,500 students pursue undergraduate and postgraduate courses every year, was the brainchild of Raja Bahadur Venkata Rama Reddy.
A trust headed by Rama Reddy was running the Narayanguda Girls’ High School since 1931. In 1949, he proposed the setting up of a college to provide higher education opportunities to female students, especially those from the rural areas. He passed away in 1953, before his dream could be realised.
Burugula Ramakrishna Rao, the first chief minister of Hyderabad state, decided to fulfil Raja Bahadur's goal. He set up the Hyderabad Mahila Vidya Sangham, under whose auspices the foundation stone for the college was laid in the year 1954 by the then Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. A year later, the college building was inaugurated by the then Vice-President Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
In keeping with Raja Bahadur’s wishes, 60 percent of the seats were reserved for girls from rural areas.
The Hyderabad Mahila Vidya Sangham constructed a hostel for students who came from out of town to study there. Indira Gandhi, the then-Minister for Union Information and Broadcasting, inaugurated the hostel building in 1965.