Justice Hariparanthaman welcomes Tamil Nadu's move

The court held jallikattu to be violative of Sections 3, 11 and 22 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Chennai: Soon after the Tamil Nadu Assembly passing the jallikattu Act unanimously, former judge of Madras high court, Justice D. Hariparanthaman informed the protesters at Marina beach about the legislation that paves way for people to conduct jallikattu without any hindrance.

Welcoming the government’s move to enact the legislation, Justice D. Hariparanthaman hoped the state government would mount pressure on the central government to place the Act in the 9th Schedule of the Constitution as this would protect the jallikattu permanently and none could challenge it in future.
“For the past few days, we sought the details of the ordinance and authorities failed to issue a copy so far. We received a copy of the Act only now,” he said.

After reading the contents in the Act, he informed the agitators that state government has passed the legislation. The Act seeks to address the grounds on which the Supreme Court held jallikattu was illegal. The court held jallikattu to be violative of Sections 3, 11 and 22 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

He said, “the present legislation is sufficient for the people to conduct the jallikattu without any apprehension”. After expressing his opinion about the Act, he left the place and asked the agitators to take suitable decision on their own.
Later, advocates from Madras High Court Advocate’s Association (MHAA) led by its president G. Mohanakrishnan reached the Marina beach and informed advocate G. Mohanakrishnan has thanked the students for staging the peaceful agitation and enabling the government to pass the act.

High Court advocate Sankarasubu said “We approached Madras high court detailing police lathi charge on the peaceful protestors. The court warned the police not to prevent the students from staging peaceful demonstrations”.
After listening to Justice D. Hariparanthaman and other advocates, the protestors decided to take the decision on the further course of action by Tuesday morning. And, over 1,000 persons remained on Marina beach.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story