Chennai: Thick dark smoke emanating from a godown in Sri perumbudur shocked residents and people travelling through the area on Wednesday morning.
According to sources, the smoke was from a major fire that broke out at the godown of a private factory that manufactures thermocol and sponges for factory use in Pondur, Sri Perumbudur.
Following a distress call that came in at 11 am, many water trucks and three fire trucks from Sriperumbudur, Kancheepuram and Tambaram stations reached the spot to douse the fire. The fire was doused within 2 hours, sources added. There were no casualties, fire personnel said.
According to the residents, employees had dumped waste thermocol, sponges and some metal materials for over a year in the godown. Neighbours had complained, but they did not pay heed, the source added.Though there were no casualties, residents suffered from suffocation as the entire Pondur village was engulfed in flames with thick columns of black smoke engulfing the entire area.A case has been registered with Sriperumbudur police and further investigations are on. The reason for the fire and the extent of damage is yet to be assessed, officials said.