New Delhi: Union home minister Rajnath Singh hoped on Monday that the ongoing India-China deadlock at Doklam would be resolved soon, even as he categorically declared that the country was fully equipped to protect its sovereignty.
Speaking at an event of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, which is deployed along the China border, the home minister said he was hopeful that China would initiate some positive steps to help sort out the border crisis.
“It is clear to the whole world that India has never had evil designs for any country so we have never attacked any country or nurtured any expansionist attitude. We never wanted to expand our borders. However, at the same time, our security forces are fully equipped to protect our territorial integrity and borders,” Mr Singh said.
Admitting there was a deadlock between India and China at Doklam, the minister said he was hopeful that there would be “a solution soon... and hope China would undertake a positive initiative”.
Indian and Chinese forces are engaged in a major standoff in Sikkim’s Doklam area ever since India stalled attempts by China to construct a road in the area. While claiming it was constructing roads in its own territory, China had asked India to immediately withdraw its troops from the region. So far Bhutan has claimed that Doklam is a part of its territory, which has been refuted by China.
While appreciating the role of the ITBP, Mr Singh said it was due to its efforts that no one has dared to cast an evil eye on India.
“We always believed in maintaining good relations with all our neighbours, and as part of this policy Prime Minister Narendra Modi had invited the heads of all neighbouring countries to his swearing-in ceremony in May 2014,” he added.