Nation Current Affairs 20 May 2017 Hydro electricity is ...

Hydro electricity is most profitable, says MM Mani

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published May 20, 2017, 6:31 am IST
Updated May 20, 2017, 6:31 am IST
M.M. Mani said that 70 per cent of electricity for the state is from brought from outside.
Power minister M.M. Mani and Jose K. Mani, MP, during the function to declare Kottayam as fully electrified district on Friday. (Photo: RAJEEV PRASAD)
 Power minister M.M. Mani and Jose K. Mani, MP, during the function to declare Kottayam as fully electrified district on Friday. (Photo: RAJEEV PRASAD)

Kottayam: Electricity Minister MM Mani on Friday declared Kottayam as a fully electrified district at a function held at the Thirunakkara ground.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr Mani said that electricity produced through water was the most profitable way of producing electricity. “The electricity produced through means other than water is very expensive. There is no possibility for bigger projects in the state. Projects including Athitapally will be implemented only if consensus occurs. Discussions should take place regarding this”, Mr Mani said.

 

The Minister said that the electricity produced from the Kayamkulam project would cost Rs 12 / unit.  He added that the electricity produced by Solar and wind energy would be more expensive.

The Minister admitted that the state was right now facing scarcity of electricity. “Even if the dams are filled, that will only generate 30 percent of the electricity. The rest of the 70 percent of electricity is brought from outside”, the Minister said.

Thituvanchoor Radhakrishan MLA presided over the function. Kottayam MP Jose K. Mani was also present on the occasion.

 

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT