ANANTAPUR: JNTUA College of Engineering Anantapur is all set to celebrate its diamond jubilee in a grand way.
APSCHE chairman Prof. Hemachandra Reddy on Sunday directed the institute’s authorities to chalk out a mega event marking the memorable occasion.
The college was started in 1946, under a post-war reconstruction programme and functioned at Guindy campus, Madras for two years before being shifted to Anantapur in 1948.
A decade later, it was shifted to the present permanent buildings that accommodate the administrative block, library and hostel blocks. In its first 25 years, it was affiliated to the Madras and S V University and produced distinguished alumni.
It became a constituent college of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad in 1972. It is a constituent college of the newly-formed JNT University Anantapur, since August 2008. It has a vast campus sprawling over an area of 185 acres.
Although the college was initially established to provide basic technical education, over a period of time, it emerged as one of the few colleges to hone technical skills.
Top professionals of various trades emerged from the Anantapur engineering college under the aegis of Madras, JNTU Hyderabad and presently JNTU Anantapur. S.P. Balasubramanyam was an alumnus of the college.
Some of those who studied here retired as professors from the college. Dr. Prahlada Rao, who studied his mechanical engineering at JNTU engineering college, and served as principal and rector and itb due to retire observed that it was great a privilege to be part of JNTU Engineering college Anantapur.
Vice-chancellor Dr Ranga Janardhan and registrar Dr. Sasidhar, who were also alumni of Anantapur engineering college, said they were planning a celebration befitting the occasion.