Hyderabad: A massive fire broke out on Wednesday in a godown in Hindinagar, Moazzam Jahi Market, which gutted fruit display showcases and other decorative articles worth Rs 20 lakh. No one was injured in the incident.
The locals, who said that the incident took place at 12.00 pm, noticed that thick plumes of smoke were erupting from the godown and alerted the police right then. Materials were stored in three tiers of the 3,000 sq.ft. space.
The incident caused a traffic jam on both sides of the ever-busy MJ Market road.
The police suspect a short circuit to have caused the fire. Four fire tenders were rushed to the spot after the police informed the Gowliguda Fire Station about it. Apart from the decorative articles, four motorcycles and a car, which belonged to a neighbour and were parked outside the godown, were gutted. After the fire was brought under control.
The godown belonged to Liberty Fruit Decorators. The owner of the godown Mr Maqsood Nayeem Saith said that he had collected the material over 20 years and that the net value of the material was around Rs 30 lakh to Rs 40 lakh.
During the mishap, a wall of the godown collapsed on a neighbour’s motor workshop. The owner of United Diesel Engineering Mr Aleem Khan said that machinery worth Rs 10 lakh to Rs 12 lakh was damaged....