Warangal: A man and a woman died in a fire that broke out at the Rohini super speciality hospital in Hanamkonda on Monday evening. According to the police, the fire was caused by a short circuit in the operation theatre on the second floor. A leaking cylinder also blew up adding to the blaze.
Two surgeries were underway when the theatre caught fire. Doctors managed to rescue one patient, but the other could not be reached as he was very close to the flames. He was later brought out by fire-fighters but died while undergoing treatment in another hospital. He was identified as J. Kumaraswamy from Venkatraopally in Chityal mandal of Jayashankar Bhupalapalli district. Several hospital staff and attendants suffered from the smoke inhalation and were sent to MGM hospital, where one woman, Mallamma, died.