Rape victim's parents suffer court's brutal ordeal

The girl at Chendrampalayam village near Vazhapadi was asleep with her parents and siblings at their door less house in February 2014.

Chennai: Parents of Devi Priya (name changed) brutally killed during a gang rape three-and-half years ago, tremble in fear as they sit at the Salem Mahila court during the trial on August 6.

More than the brutal episode in which the 10-year-old girl was raped by five people and hung from a tree, it is the court proceedings that are leaving them in an inferno.


Even though cross questions of the four defense lawyers diminishes the dignity of their daughter, the parents who are casual laborers patiently answer, hoping for justice that is getting delayed.

The case remains pending for over three years, though the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offenses Act (Pocso), 2012, mandates the disposal of the case from the date, the offense is reported.

The girl at Chendrampalayam village near Vazhapadi was asleep with her parents and siblings at their door less house in February 2014. She was dragged, gangraped and killed by five people. The accused were identified as S. Boopathi, a bus conductor and ward member in the village panchayat, P. Anandbabu, a lorry driver and A. Anandan, D. Prabakaran and D. Balu alias Balakrishnan — all labourers.

“Though they were booked under various sections under rape, murder and the Goondas Act, the accused, who were said to have strong political connections, obtained bail from Madras high court within eight months,” said a police official from Salem police station.

The official also explained of how the parents were grilled several times by all defence lawyers, adding to their agony. “As there are so many pending cases in the court, much time is not being allocated for this case. However, we are expecting some progress in the next hearing on August 19,” the police officer hoped.

Meanwhile, a trusted source from the court, who has been closely following the case said that the defence lawyers have been seeking for adjournments, resulting in the delay. “Only in the coming hearing (19 August) would there be a cross examination of Accused 1 and Accused 2. After that, the siblings of the victim would be questioned. The case can easily take six more months,” said the source.

Child protection officer of Salem district Indrajith told Deccan Chronicle, “It took a lot of time for the trial to commence. The forensic reports to come from Mumbai were delayed. Now that all the reports were submitted, we are expecting the case to come to a closure soon.”

With all these legal hassles, the parents who travel over 15 km to reach the court don’t give up. The government could have compensated their daughter’s death by granting Rs 3 lakh and a decent house, but it is the conviction of the accused soothes them the best.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story