Hyderabad: The age-old Khazana building, once a treasury and royal arms of Qutb Shahi kings near Golconda and converted into a museum, finally gets a facelift.
The structures, which were in a dilapidated condition, have been restored to a large extent by Telangana State Archaeology and Museums Department after a six-month repair work.
Golconda was the capital of Qutb Shahi dynasty. Sultan Jamsid and Ibrahim Qutb Shah (1550-1580 AD) were powerful rulers who strengthened Golconda fort. Sultan Mohamed Quli, the IV king, was the founder of Hyderabad (1580-1590 AD).
The Sultan constructed several religious, administrative and military offices to cater to the needs of citizens and the army in the capital, which was then called Mohammed Nagar. Qutb Shahi kings housed their treasures in this building, which is currently known as the Khazana building museum. Khazana building, as the name suggests, housed kingdoms khazana or treasure. It was the treasury of Ibrahim Qutb Shahi.
“It’s a very old historic building. We used traditional lime mortar to restore it spending about `50 lakh and six months under the direction of our Director Ms N.R. Vishalatchy,” Mohammed Raheem Sha Ali, Deputy Director (Engg.) Department of Archaeology and Museums, Telangana State told Deccan Chronicle.
The museum houses cannons from the Qutb Shahi period, stone sculptures from neighbouring regions of Chalukya and Kakatiya period as well as Qutb shahi and Bahmani dynasties, rare coins to centuries old relics unearthed during various excavations etc, 3,500 arms and weapons of Qutb Shahi period among others.
Located on the main road from Fateh Darwaza to Bala Hissar Road, Golconda, Hyderabad, the single-storied building with a court yard and garden has a magnificent central arch. When tourists enter Khazana building museum, they can first notice the guard rooms of the royal treasury of the Qutb Shahi dynasty.
As is with most Islamic buildings, there are religious centres inside the complex. Ashrafi Mosque in the eastern quarters of the building, Chani mosque (built during Ibrahim Qutb Shahi time 1550-1580 AD), the smaller mosque of the two.
After the police action in 1948, Indian Army used this building as treasury office for distribution of salaries to their staff. It was handed over to the Department of Archaeology and Museums in 1951....