62nd Day Of Lockdown

Maharashtra50231146001635 Tamil Nadu162778324112 Gujarat140636412858 Delhi134186540261 Rajasthan70283848163 Madhya Pradesh66653408290 Uttar Pradesh62683538161 West Bengal36671339272 Andhra Pradesh2780184156 Bihar257470211 Karnataka208965442 Punjab2060189840 Telangana1854109253 Jammu and Kashmir162180921 Odisha13365507 Haryana118476516 Kerala8485206 Assam393584 Jharkhand3701484 Uttarakhand317583 Chandigarh2621794 Chhatisgarh252640 Himachal Pradesh203594 Tripura1941650 Goa66160 Puducherry41120 Manipur3220 Meghalaya14121 Arunachal Pradesh210 Mizoram110 Sikkim100
Nation Current Affairs 16 Dec 2016 4 years after Dec 16 ...

4 years after Dec 16 gangrape, Nirbhaya's mother still awaits justice

Published Dec 16, 2016, 12:43 pm IST
Updated Dec 16, 2016, 12:45 pm IST
‘The case is pending in the Supreme Court, but still we don't know when she will get justice,’ Asha Devi said.
Mother of December 16 gangrape victim, Asha Devi. (Photo: PTI)
 Mother of December 16 gangrape victim, Asha Devi. (Photo: PTI)

New Delhi: It has been four years since an entire country’s conscience was shaken by Nirbhaya’s brutal gangrape in the national capital, but her mother still awaits justice and feels that no action has been taken against the accused.

"It has been four years today, but till now justice has not been served to her (Nirbhaya). We have been trying a lot from the past four years to ensure that she gets justice, yet the accused have not been punished. The case is pending in the Supreme Court, but still we don't know when she will get justice," said Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi.


"Even today the same thing is happening, small children are being assaulted which indicate that the law of the country is not working properly as it should. Nobody is scared of the law," she said.

Nirbhaya was brutally gang-raped on the intervening night of December 16, 2012, in a moving bus in South Delhi. The incident took place while she was returning with a friend after watching a movie.

She died 13 days after the incident at a hospital in Singapore.

Of the six men arrested in the case, one of the accused Ram Singh hanged himself in prison in March 2013, while another man, who was a juvenile at the time of the crime, was convicted in August and will serve the maximum sentence of three years in a reform home.

The other four -- Akshay, Vinay Sharma, Pawan and Mukesh -- were found guilty and sentenced to death by the Delhi High Court in September 2013.

The men have challenged the death sentence in the Supreme Court, which is currently hearing their appeal.

Location: India, Delhi, New Delhi