Namakkal: In a terrible tragedy, a 28-year-old youth was virtually blown to bits as some powerful crackers accidentally went off while he was participating in his grandmother's funeral near Namakkal on Sunday, Police said on Monday.
Anbarasan, 28, had gone with his family to attend the funeral of his paternal grandmother, Marammal, 70, who died in her house at Navalapatti near Erumapatti in Namakkal district on Sunday, due to age-related illness.
As Marammal’s body was being taken in a procession for burial on Sunday evening, a large number of high decibel crackers were burst by some of those part of the funeral procession.
Anbarasan himself had been carrying some 20 powerful pyrotechnics on his hand when, all of a sudden, a spark from another bursting cracker fell on them and ignited the whole lot of crackers he was holding, police said. As the multiple crackers exploded on his hand, poor Anbarasan was critically injured.
The injured grandson in a very precarious state was rushed to a private hospital in Namakkal, but Anbarasan succumbed to the severe burns on Monday. The Erumapatti police have registered a case and are investigating.
It was double whammy for the neighbourhood as a moment of grief happened to claim another life....