Chennai: A major fire broke out in a scrap godown at Anakaputhur near Maduravoyal here on Friday morning.
The fire broke out at 11. 30 am. The exact reason for the fore is not known, but the police suspect it to be due to a short circuit in the godown.
According to sources, the locals allegedly noticed smoke emanating from the godown and immediately informed police and fire and rescue services department. Nearly three fire tenders from Tambaram and Ashok Nagar fire station were pressed into service immediately. City police officials also reached the spot and helped in the rescue operations
“Nobody was injured, however, the entire godown was gutted in the fire. The scrap godown stored plastic, aluminium vessels, paper, oil and other metal items. Since there were several scrap godowns and shop close by, we were worried that fire would spread to other places,” said an official.
It took two hours of struggle before they could finally bring the fire under control. It is not immediately known as to the extent of the damage but it has been estimated that the figures run to nearly Rs 7 lakh.
The Shankar Nagar police have filed a case and are probing whether it is more than an accident...