Nation Current Affairs 11 Mar 2018 No Kannada on shop s ...

No Kannada on shop signage? BBMP to crack whip

DECCAN CHRONICLE. | ABILASH MARISWAMY
Published Mar 11, 2018, 6:08 am IST
Updated Mar 11, 2018, 6:08 am IST
The BBMP had earlier issued a circular, saying that the shops should fall in line by November-end.
BBMP
 BBMP

BENGALURU: Debates around the use of Kannada have an addition to the list. After schools, Metro station boards, railway tickets, etc, the spotlight could soon shift to name boards of shops in the city. 

Activists said that many commercial establishments in the city have failed to adhere to the BBMP rule that makes 60 % Kannada in their name boards mandatory. 

 

The BBMP had earlier issued a circular, saying that the shops should fall in line by November-end. The Palike had also issued a warning that if the shops failed to comply, their licences would be revoked. The order is based on the Sarojini Mahishi report, which says that all name boards should have Kannada covering 60% of the name board, while the rest 40% can be in any other language.

The Kannada Development Authority (KDA) had asked the BBMP to ensure that name boards of all shopping malls and commercial establishments within the Palike limits should be in Kannada. "We had asked the BBMP commissioner to cancel licences of shops that don't have Kannada covering 60%of their name boards. 

A few days ago, I asked the authorities to inspect, but they said they are busy with the elections," said Mr S.G. Siddaramaiah, chairman, Kannada Development Authority (KDA).The Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, 1961 states that the name boards of all establishments should be in Kannada and if any other language is used, it should be used below the Kannada version. 

Mr Siddaramaiah said that he will hold a meeting with ward inspectors soon, asking them to take necessary steps against shops that are not adhering to the rule.

Traders complained that they haven't received any such order from the the Palike till now. Sayeed Ali, a coffee shop owner, said, "There were rumours that they would pass some rule, making Kannada compulsory on name boards, but we haven't got any such information from the BBMP."

Another retail outlet owner, Krishna, said, "I don't have any objections in writing the name board in Kannada. Now, we have written it in a smaller font. But I don't know about this new rule of 60 percent Kannada on the name board."

BBMP Commissioner Manjunath Prasad said that it is mandatory for all shops to have 60 percent of their name boards in Kannada. "Next week, we will inspect some places in the city and take necessary action if it has not been implemented. We had earlier asked them to implement the rule," he said.  

...
Location: India, Karnataka, Bengaluru




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT