Nation Current Affairs 11 Feb 2017 Pune: 150 take ill a ...

Pune: 150 take ill after consuming sweets at a religious fair

PTI
Published Feb 11, 2017, 2:34 pm IST
Updated Feb 11, 2017, 3:34 pm IST
The sweets were reportedly distributed as prasad after rituals at the fair.
Representational image (Photo: AP)
 Representational image (Photo: AP)

Pune: Nearly 150 people, including children were admitted to various hospitals in Maval tehsil of Pune district on Friday night after they complained of vomitting, loose motion and other suspected food poisoning symptoms.

District health department said people fell ill after consuming sweets, distributed as 'prasad' during a religious function in Pachane village in the tehsil.

 

"There was an 'Urus' (a religious fair) in Pachane village in Maval and after the rituals, pedha (sweets) were distributed among the villagers,” said Dr Chandrakant Lohare, health officer, Maval tehsil.

"After consuming the sweets, people complained of vomiting, loose motions and nausea. They rushed to nearby hospitals," he further added.

He said that initially it was only handful of people, who complained of food poisoning symptoms, however, after time more and more people started complaining and rushed to the nearby hospitals.

 

"Sensing the medical urgency, we set up makeshift medical camps at the village and treated the villagers," he added.

The doctor said that majority of the people were discharged after the treatment and the situation is under control. "There are around 50 people who are still in the hospital and under observation, however, no one is critical," said Lohare.

"Samples of the sweets have been sent to laboratory for further investigation and Food and Drug Administration too is looking into the matter," the doctor informed.

...
Location: India, Maharashtra, Pune




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->