BENGALURU: In all, 92 people who suffered injuries from firecrackers were treated at different hospitals in the city till Friday.Most of the injured were bystanders, passersby and innocents and less of self-injured in the age group of 2 to 64 years old, said doctors.
Though an awareness campaign prior to Deepavali was carried out about safe use of crackers and green crackers, the city reported an increase in the number of injuries this year compared to last year.
In 2017, around 70 people were injured in various firecracker accidents. The state-run Minto Eye Hospital registered 32 patients, of them 15 on Thursday alone. Arya Das, a 37-year-old man, sustained a grievous eye injury while he was walking. Dr B.L. Sujatha Rathod, Director, Minto Eye Hospital, said, “Four patients have been admitted and two operated. Rest of the cases were simple injuries. Of these, two patients have high chances of losing their vision.”
She said that this time, the hospital saw more of simple injuries and less of grievous injuries because of the awareness campaign and 24-hour service.
SC order violated
“People are bursting firecrackers in crowded places and by violating the Supreme Court order on restricted timing which is why more bystanders or innocents are getting injured,” she said.
Narayana Nethralaya Hospitals treated 38 patients, most of them being male and below 18 years of age. A 40-year-old man from Hegganahalli had a serious injury in both his eyes when a flowerpot burst directly below his eyes and damaged his right eye. He has been operated and is under observation for 24 hours.
Dr K. Bhujang Shetty, Chairman and Managing Director, Narayana Nethralaya, said, “The injuries for bystanders are increasing every year because of space constraint and crowded population. One should be careful while walking or watching bursting of crackers. This year, more men than women were injured.”
Sankara Eye hospital treated 12 cases of minor injury, while Victoria Hospital treated 10 patients who suffered from burns.