Hyderabad: Six members of a family were injured when leaking gas from a cooking gas cylinder caught fire resulting in an explosion in Warasiguda early on Sunday morning. All the injured are being treated at the Gandhi Hospital.
Chilkalguda police identified the injured as Mohd Ghouse Pasha, a 40-year-old employed in the marble business, and his wife Shabana Begum, 35, and their four children Aafiya Anjum, 9, Shifa Tabas-sum, 6, Mezbha Nooreen, 3, and Umema, who is three-months-old.
The explosion, according to the police, occurred at around 7 am, when Shabana Begum tried to light the stove in one of the two rooms of the small house the family lives in. One room was used as the kitchen and the other was the family bedroom.
The impact of the explosion threw Shabana Begum back a few feet and she fell on a glass shelf and was injured. Her clothes and that of her husband who was with her caught fire. The husband ran out of the house, and the two older children rushed out from the bedroom carrying their younger.
“We immediately alerted the police about the accident. The police came after about an hour. An ambulance that reached earlier rushed the family to Gandhi Hospital," a neighbour said.
Inspector A.C. Balagangi Reddy of the Chilkalguda police said that the adults received about 70 per cent burns and the children suffered from about 30 per cent burns.
“Presently they all are out of danger and undergoing treatment in the Emergency ward of Gandhi Hospital,” he added....