Hyderabad: It has been two weeks, but a police investigation into the case of a man who fell to his death in a pit at Balanagar Crossroads is still pending. No action has been taken so far. The pit was dug and left opens by a contractor employed by Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board (HMWSSB).
The victim’s family has been paid compensation since then. Bala Nagar Inspector P.Bikshapathi Rao confirmed that the investigation is pending.
“The investigation is progressing. The post-mortem report is pending and after that, other documents will be verified and we will come to a conclusion,” he said.
A senior HMWSSB officer said the action on the contractor will depend on the police report.
The incident took place on March 23 when workers appointed by Megha Engineering Infrastructure Limited left open a trench, which had been dug for laying a drinking water pipeline in Balanagar.
Resident Oruganti Chandrashekar Rao was trying to cross the road when he noticed a bus approaching at high speed. He stepped back and into the barricade around the trench. He fell head first into the pit and died on the spot.
The Balanagar police registered a case against the contractor after a complaint was filed by the deceased’s daughter. A case of death due to negligence under Section 304- A of the Indian Penal Code was booked against the contractor and Water Board officials.
In 2016, another trench at Madhapur claimed the life of a youth. The action the board took then was to blacklist the contractor....