Hyderabad: People staying near Indira Park panicked on Sunday as a dumping yard near it caught fire releasing thick, black smoke.
District fire officer M. Srinivas Reddy said garbage was dumped by park authorities and locals in an open place, and it caught fire due to careless smokers.
“Our teams from Mush-eerabad, Assembly, Moulali and Secunderabad rushed to the spot with four fire tenders and controlled the fire by 4 pm,” he said.
He said that GHMC staffers were removing the remaining garbage from the spot.
“We have deployed a fire tender to tackle fires in case the garbage catches fire again,” he said.
In another incident, the DFO said that due to short circuit there was a fire at S.S. Fibertech at Champapet.
“A fire tender from Malakpet fire station rushed to the spot and controlled the fire after a hour-long fight. Flammable articles like fibre, sponge and material used in air-coolers caught fire,” he said.