Hyderabad: 70-year-old man dies of shock at Mee Seva centre

The incident took place at around 1 pm.

Hyderabad: A 70-year-old farmer from Khanapur village was electrocuted at the MeeSeva centre at Rajendranagar on Tuesday afternoon when he had gone there to apply for a water connection.

Sources said J. Ramulu was electrocuted when he accidentally touched an exposed electric cable hanging from a window. Tension mounted in the area as locals and relatives of the victim protested against the Mee Seva officials, demanding their immediate arrest.

Police found that the exposed cable was part of a fitting installed by the staff for an extra light bulb near the window. The cable, which was torn and without insulation, was hanging near the window at the staircase to the MeeSeva centre.

The incident took place at around 1 pm. Ramulu and his family members had visited the office for a water connection to his land. He had initially gone to the MRO’s office and officials there had asked him to give an application through MeeSeva.

“The Mee Seva centre is on the first floor. Ramulu and his family members were climbing the stairs when he touched the cable by mistake. The cable was hanging through the window and he had not noticed it. He held the cable in order to support his body while climbing. Suddenly he got electrocuted and fell. He died on the spot,” said Rajendra Nagar sub-inspector Mr Ramachandraiah.

Sources said that the cable had been hanging for many months and was an accident waiting to happen. They said that the service wire also hangs from the wall, which is another danger in the building.

An FIR has been filed under IPC section 304 A (causing death due to negligence), however no accused has been mentioned. “We are investigating who was responsible for leaving that electric cable hanging. After an inquiry, we will add the name of the accused,” said the sub-inspector.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story