Ballari: Nearly 40 girl students of Hampi Kannada University at Kamalapur in Ballari district have fallen sick due to food poisoning.
The students, residing at 'Asmithe' hostel in the university campus had lunch at the hostel mess on Monday afternoon.
Soon after lunch, some students complained of a burning sensation and stomach ache and were admitted to the local government hospital. By the evening, more students with similar complaints got admitted to the government hospital in Hosapete.
Sources said only those who consumed butter milk at lunch had fallen sick and suspect that since the butter milk was kept in a refrigerator, it could have become contaminated.
Students blamed university authorities of being negligent in ensuring supply of quality food and drinking water to hostel students.
Varsity vice Chancellor Mr S.C. Ramesh visited the ailing students at the hospital and told their parents not to worry while assuring that all necessary medical measures were being taken for students' safety.
He said, an inquiry will be conducted into this incident and suitable action will be taken against the people responsible for this alleged food poisoning.
The vice-chancellor also said that 20 students have been discharged as of now and the remaining students who are under treatment, are stable....