Chennai: A car was completely gutted in a fire caused by a suspected electric short circuit near Nandambakkam on Mount Ponnamalle high road on Tuesday night. Police said there were no casualties as the occupants came out of on noticing the smoke. Within minutes, the car was gutted in flames.
M. Raj Kamal (28) of Ambattur, who is a manager in a private company in the city, was driving the car while heading home with his wife after attending a wedding in Guindy.
At around 10 p.m. on Tuesday, he noticed smoke rising from the car bonnet and quickly stopped the car by the roadside and within minutes it was gutted in flames. An electric short circuit in the LPG cylinder fitted car was said to be the reason for the fire, officials said. Three fire trucks from the Guindy, Egmore and Virugambakkam were pressed into service.
In another incident on Tuesday, a major fire broke out in the godown of a furniture shop at Vadaperumpakkam in Red Hills. No one was injured in the fire incident but loss of property was estimated to be huge as around `50 lakhs worth furniture may have been gutted in the fire.
The godown owner, Ajay Soni (54), who is a native of Pune, alerted the Red Hills police about the fire around 10 a.m. on Tuesday. Four fire tenders from Red Hills, Madhavaram, Manali and Ambattur reached the spot immediately and doused the fire....