Hyderabad: MIM legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi has maintained that Muslims opted to file a review petition against the Supreme Court judgment on Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi dispute because they have still not lost hope in democracy and judiciary.
Addressing a protest meeting on demolition of Babri Masjid, the MIM MLA said Muslims have shown their patience with regard to the SC verdict, while Hindu brothers too did not celebrate the verdict. This shows that both communities have accepted the judgement. “However, our laws allow us to appeal against a judgement. That is why we are approaching the Supreme Court. The final verdict, whatever it may be, will be acceptable for us,” he stated.
Mr Akbaruddin Owaisi said an assurance had been given to the National Integration Council, Parliament and Supreme Court that the disputed structure will be protected while performing kar seva in 1992.
Thus, the demolition of Babri Masjid was not mere destruction of a masjid but an attack on the Constitution, democracy and the apex court.
“Those who were responsible for demolition of the Babri Masjid are now enjoying the fruits of power, thanks to democracy,” he remarked. The MIM legislator said though 27 years have elapsed, the contempt petition filed against the demolition of the masjid has not been heard in the Supreme Court.
Nobody has gone to the jail for that crime because they got power using the power of the vote. He pointed out that BJP, which had only two members of Parliament at the time of demolition of Babri Masjid, is now ruling the country.
Mr Akbaruddin Owaisi said though a bandh call has been given as usual on December 6 over demolition of the masjid on the day in 1992, they would not force anyone to down shutters. Instead of protesting on roads, they would spend the day in various masjids engaging in prayers and cleaning mosques.
“We will never forget the demolition of Babri Masjid. We will remember it always and will ask our future generations to remember it,” he added.