ANANTAPUR: An infant died when an oxygen unit failed and a woman succumbed to injuries when a short circuit resulted in a scare at the government-run district hospital at Hindupur.
The incident comes just after a hospital fire in Hyderabad claimed the life of an infant last month.
Mudeena Begum from Kotnur in Hindupur was admitted to the labour ward on Saturday evening. Though doctors suggested a normal delivery, she was later referred to a Caesarean Section through which she was delivered of a son.
The infant was found to be suffering from a breathing problem and was shifted to the paediatric ward to provide artificial respiration. While there, a short circuit occurred in the paediatric ward and the oxygen units failed. This resulted in the death of the two-hour-old infant.
The short circuit also created havoc among the in-patients, mostly post-delivery women and their attendants in the paediatric ward. They ran away fearing a fire outbreak. A woman, Rasheeda, 28, who had undergone a Caesarean Section died after suffering injuries while trying to run out of the ward. She had delivered a son three days ago. Sources said her sutures had become undone.