Nation Current Affairs 03 Dec 2021 Telangana health var ...

Telangana health varsity to gift medical seats to Andhra Pradesh

DECCAN CHRONICLE. | N. VAMSI SRINIVAS
Published Dec 3, 2021, 2:26 am IST
Updated Dec 3, 2021, 7:14 am IST
BC students from TS, will lose a lifetime opportunity of pursuing medicine in 2021-2022 also
Students belonging to Telangana, in particular those from Backward Classes, will lose a lifetime opportunity of pursuing medicine in the academic year 2021-2022 also, with the Kaloji Health University deciding to stick to its earlier counselling procedure. (PTI file photo)
 Students belonging to Telangana, in particular those from Backward Classes, will lose a lifetime opportunity of pursuing medicine in the academic year 2021-2022 also, with the Kaloji Health University deciding to stick to its earlier counselling procedure. (PTI file photo)

Hyderabad: Scores of students belonging to Telangana, in particular those from Backward Classes, will lose a lifetime opportunity of pursuing medicine in the academic year 2021-2022 also, with the Kaloji Health University deciding to stick to its earlier counselling procedure.

Deccan Chronicle carried a series of reports in these columns highlighting the injustice meted out to Telangana students during the previous academic year when at least 100 students from the neighbouring Andhra Pradesh sneaked into Telangana depriving the locals of equal number of seats. TS students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Tribes, besides BCs, were also badly hit.

 

Sources said when two students approached the High Court challenging the admission procedure which they described as faulty, the university stuck to its stand, though inadvertently it admitted that less meritorious students from the neighbouring state secured admission in Telangana colleges. The case is pending in the court even as the NEET results for the current academic year were announced and the university is all set to take up admissions.

The admission procedure which the university follows to fill the 15 per cent unreserved quota in the second and subsequent phases of counselling is the bone of contention between the university and the petitioners in the High Court.

 

In the first phase of counselling, the university will fill the 15 per cent unreserved quota with most meritorious students irrespective of their region and caste. The remaining 85 per cent quota will be filled by TS students only.

For the second and subsequent phases, Kaloji university, contrary to the procedure followed in AP, asks students to apply for each round of counselling. “By the time the second phase counselling begins, some students who were allotted seats in the 15 per cent unreserved quota vacate the seats to join better colleges. Some local students who got admission in college of their choice under the 85 per cent local quota will not apply again for the subsequent phases of counselling,” the petitioners argued.

 

They said the university should prepare the merit list afresh irrespective of the students applying for subsequent phases of cou-nselling because the basic rule is that the 15 per cent unreserved quota shall always contain the most meritorious students.

Ironically, BJP MLA Eatala Rajender, who held the health portfolio in KCR Cabinet, did not intervene though the procedure was a blow to BC students and all hopes are now pinned on new health minister T. Harish Rao, said a parent.

...
Location: India, Telangana, Hyderabad




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
-->