Toxic fumes smother residents near unit

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Nov 2, 2018, 1:33 am IST
Updated Nov 2, 2018, 1:33 am IST
A couple of people, who had respiratory discomforts, were admitted to the hospitals the other day.
The Pollution Control Board (PCB) will be checking the toxicity of the fumes being emitted from the site for coming three days.   (Representational Images)
 The Pollution Control Board (PCB) will be checking the toxicity of the fumes being emitted from the site for coming three days.   (Representational Images)

Thiruvananthapuram: The toxic fumes and smoke being emitted from the residues after the fire outbreak is becoming a huge matter of concern for the residents of Manvila. 

However, according to health experts, the area is out of danger as it is in close proximity to the ocean. A couple of people, who had respiratory discomforts, were admitted to the hospitals the other day.

 

Deputy superintendent of Medical College Hospital, Thiruvana-nthapuram, Dr Santhosh said that burning of plastic causes a decrease in the level of oxygen, which could pose health issues to those inhale the toxic fumes. 

“Once the plastic is burned toxic fumes including carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and dioxin get mixed in the air. The poisonous fumes mixed with fumes and dust enters the body and could pose health issues,” he said.

He said that at Manvila luckily the situation got under control as the area was close to the coastal belt. 

“The fumes get easily diluted by the wind minimising the intensity of the toxic fumes. We expected more cases following the fire. And now there is nothing to be concerned about as the fire is put out,” he added.

The Pollution Control Board (PCB) will be checking the toxicity of the fumes being emitted from the site for coming three days.  

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT