Thiruvananthapuram: The authorities have found major lapses in the fire safety arrangement at the plastic manufacturing unit, which went ablaze at Manvila, Thriuvananthapuram, on Wednesday night. According to fire authorities, the building did not have the mandatory no objection certificate from the fire department. An official said that the company had also carried out extensive construction activity on the premises without getting NoC from the authorities concerned.
The Pollution Control Board on Thursday launched a comprehensive probe at the unit and found major violations at the unit. PCB chairman K. Sajeevan said a team inspected the place. “We will be monitoring the toxicity of the smoke emanating from the spot for the next three days. Members from PCB’s central lab will analyse the air quality and toxic gas being emitted from the after fire residues,” said Mr Sajeevan.
He said the department has serious doubt the manufacturing unit was producing more than its production capacity, which is a serious offence.
According to fire authorities, the unit stored combustible materials including diesel and gas cylinders without proper precautionary measures.
Director-general of Fire and Rescue Services A. Hemachandran said that the director (technical) of the department will launch a detailed probe into the incident. The industries and police departments have also ordered probe into the incident....