Nation Current Affairs 02 Jun 2019 Bengaluru: Electric ...

Bengaluru: Electric shock; 23-year-old succumbs to burn injuries

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Jun 2, 2019, 2:58 am IST
Updated Jun 2, 2019, 2:58 am IST
The deceased has been identified as Satish, a native of Tamil Nadu.
BBMP officials had granted permission for the multi-storey building and approved building plans, although the site was close to a high tension tower.
 BBMP officials had granted permission for the multi-storey building and approved building plans, although the site was close to a high tension tower.

Bengaluru: A 23-year-old construction worker, who had sustained 80 percent burn injuries after he came in contact with a high-tension wire, succumbed on Friday night, after battling for life for four days in Victoria Hospital.

The deceased has been identified as Satish, a native of Tamil Nadu. The incident happened on May 27, when he was working at an under-construction building in Manjunath Nagar.

 

While Satish was at work, a high-tension wire snapped and fell on him. He sustained burn injuries and fell unconscious.

He was immediately rushed to Victoria Hospital and admitted to the intensive care unit.

Following Satish’s death, Basaveswara Nagar Police have registered a case and arrested the building owner, Jayakumar, and supervisor Ramachandra on Saturday. They have been booked under section 304A (causing death by negligence of the IPC).

BBMP to be blamed?
The under-construction building is located about 50 metres away from a high-tension tower and it was being built in violation of the norms.

 

BBMP officials had, however, granted permission for the multi-storey building and even approved building plans, despite being aware that the site was located close to a high tension tower.

Mayor Gangambike, who had visited the spot on May 28, had taken the officials to task for negligence.

During their investigation, the police found that the building was being constructed illegally and the BBMP officials had even sent Jayakumar a notice to stop the construction. However, they did not follow it up.

Second incident in May
This was the second such incident to happen in May. Earlier on May 16, a 14-year-old boy died after he came in contact with a live high-tension wire in Mathikere.

 

The boy had gone to the terrace of a building to fetch a ball while playing cricket. There he came in contact with a live high tension wire, which was close to the building. He sustained 50 per cent burn injuries and later succumbed.

...
Location: India, Karnataka, Bengaluru




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT