Nation Current Affairs 01 Dec 2018 Thrissur: Sit-in pro ...

Thrissur: Sit-in protest by Anisha’s kin at hospital

Published Dec 1, 2018, 7:03 am IST
Updated Dec 1, 2018, 7:03 am IST
The 24-year-old had fallen into a coma following surgery.
Anisha Rinson
 Anisha Rinson

Thrissur: The relatives, friends and well- wishers of Anisha Rinson, 24, who fell into coma soon after she underwent an operation at Thrissur district co-operative hospital earlier this month, conducted a sit-in protest in front of the hospital on Friday.

They demanded action against the hospital authorities for their alleged medical negligence which led to severe reaction of the patient, who is a software engineer.


Anisha, who got married four months ago, suffered the reaction while a test dose of an antibiotic was administered on her two days before her operation for pilonidal sinus on November 5.

She was then shifted to ICU and as she recovered, the surgeon concerned convinced her family members to go ahead with the surgery, the relatives said.

After the surgery, she fell into a coma and was shifted to Jubilee Mission Medical College and then to Aster Medcity in Kochi.

“Even after 25 days of treatment, there is no considerable improvement  in her condition other than that she just opens her eyes. At times she needs ventilator support. Our poor family has spent over Rs 3 lakh for her treatment in the first two hospitals alone,” her husband, Rinson of Melur, Chalakudy said.


He was told by the doctors at Jubilee Hospital and at Aster that the patient was not provided proper oxygen while she was shifted from the co-operative hospital. This affected several portions in her brain.

However, Dr Ramdas, medical superintendent of the co-operative hospital, said that the patient was given test dose for all the medicines, including anaesthesia, but she suffered from severe reaction while the full dose of a medicine was administered. The doctors could not say which medicine caused the reaction that led to anaphylactic shock.


“It was not our fault and we are ready to face any legal inquiry,” he said.

Location: India, Kerala, Thrissur