Top

Sengar’s Freedom Is Kaal for My Kin; Unnao Rape Survivor to Move SC

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday suspended the sentence of Sengar, who is serving life imprisonment in the case, and ordered his release on bail pending the disposal of his appeal against his conviction by a trial court in December 2019

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court’s order suspending the jail sentence of expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar, who was convicted in the Unnao gangrape and murder case, has drawn sharp criticism from Opposition parties, particularly the Congress.

Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi, along with former Congress president Sonia Gandhi, met the survivor on Wednesday and described the court order as inhumane. Questioning the decision, Rahul Gandhi asked, “Is such treatment of a gangrape survivor appropriate?”

While the BJP has maintained silence on the judgment, the survivor described the court’s order as “kaal (death)” for her family. She said she would approach the Supreme Court against the decision and sought legal assistance and help in relocating to a Congress-ruled State. She also requested the Gandhis’ support in ensuring her family’s safety.

Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi met the survivor and her family at Sonia Gandhi’s 10 Janpath residence, assuring them of all possible support to secure justice, dignity and protection. The family sought help in engaging a strong legal team to challenge the High Court order and assistance in relocation due to alleged threats to their lives. The survivor’s husband also requested support for livelihood opportunities.

Earlier in the day, Rahul Gandhi said the survivor deserved justice and respect, not fear or humiliation. In a post on X, he said granting bail to a convicted gangrape accused was “deeply disappointing and shameful”, especially when the survivor continued to face harassment.

“Bail for rapists and treating survivors like criminals, what kind of justice is this? With such inhuman incidents, we are not only becoming a dead economy but also a dead society,” he wrote.

He added that in a democracy, raising one’s voice is a right and suppressing it is a crime. “The survivor deserves respect, safety and justice, not helplessness and fear,” he said.

Earlier, the survivor, her mother and activist Yogita Bhayana staged a protest near Mandi House against the High Court verdict. The survivor, who was a minor when she was abducted and raped by Sengar in 2017, said security for her family, lawyers and witnesses had already been withdrawn, heightening her fears.

“If a convict gets bail in a case like this, how will the country’s daughters remain safe?” she asked, alleging that the verdict reflected injustice. She said she wanted to meet President Droupadi Murmu to convey her anguish over the court order.

Her mother said they would approach the Supreme Court against the High Court’s decision and expressed hope that justice would prevail.

Slamming the BJP, AAP supremo Arvind Kejriwal said, "Lathis’ for rape survivors while protection for accused. This is bitter reality of BJP rule where justice runs in reverse. This is not just failure of system but reflects mindset of those in power."

( Source : Deccan Chronicle )
Next Story