Bengaluru: A massive fire broke out in a four-storey building housing a garment factory near Konankunte Cross on Sunday night. A short-circuit is said to be the reason behind the fire, in which goods worth around Rs 25 crore were destroyed.
The fire at Lovable Lingerie Ltd's factory off Kanakapura Road, initially started spreading from behind the building. The security guard failed to notice it until a guard from an opposite building, who noticed the smoke coming from the factory, alerted the guard, who in turn called the fire station and the police.
Fire at garment factory: Goods worth Rs 25 crore gutted
Fire department officials said that they received the call around 8.45 pm and immediately a fire tender was despatched from the Anjanapura fire station. Later, fire engines from Banshankari and Jayanagar stations too were sent. By then, the fire had spread to all the four floors. As the fire was increasing, fire engines from various stations joined to douse the fire.
Totally, 22 fire tenders were put to service and around 80 firemen fought the fire for more than eight hours. “After six hours, the fire was brought under control around 3 am, while it took almost nine hours, around 6 am, to put out the fire out completely. Though the exact reason for the accident in not yet known, it is suspected that an electric short-circuit could have led to the incident,” an official said, adding that garments, garment machinery, cartons, furniture and other goods worth around Rs 25 crore were gutted. Company manager Shivaprasad registered a compliant with the Kumaraswamy Layout police....