Chennai: A college student was found dead in a lodge at Chepauk while her boyfriend who consumed poison along with her is battling for life at a government hospital in the city.
The deceased was identified as Kajal (21) of Sowcarpet. The 21-year-old victim was a B.Com student of a private college. Police sources said she checked into the lodge at 3.45 pm on Monday evening along with her boyfriend Sumar Singh (23) of Sowcarpet who works in a marketing firm in the city.
Police said at around 7.30 am on Monday, the hotel manager alerted the police when the duo did not respond to the knocks on the door for a long time. The Triplicane police arrived at the spot and found the duo lying unconscious. They were rushed to the hospital where Kajal was declared brought dead, Sumar is being treated by doctors.
Police are yet to find out what poison they had consumed and the reason behind taking the extreme step. Preliminary investigation revealed that they had been in a relationship for the past three years.
In an unrelated case on Tuesday, a mother and son who had rented a room at a lodge on EVR Salai on the pretext of a medical check-up also attempted suicide, which claimed the life of the son. Sources said the duo from Coimbatore booked a room at the lodge on June 3.
The duo is said to have consumed poison three days ago but the hotel staff found the man dead and mother lying unconscious only on Tuesday morning It is said they had decided to end their lives due to financial troubles. Probe is on....