Hyderabad: A two-year-old child suffered burn injuries when a teenage boy, who was playing with petrol and a matchbox, accidentally spilled the inflammable liquid on the toddler in Kalapathar area here, police said.
"On Monday evening, a 15-year-old boy was playing with a petrol-filled bottle and took out a match stick and allegedly tried to scare some others. While doing so, petrol from the bottle accidentally fell on the two-year-old boy, who suffered burns on his neck and shoulder," Kalapathar police station sub-inspector G Sravan Kumar said.
The teenager immediately doused the fire saving the child from serious burns.
However, certain sections of media claimed the teenager poured petrol from his bike on the 2-year-old as he did not give him way on the road. When asked about it, Kumar said these reports were "factually incorrect".
"Of course, it is negligence (on the part of the teenage boy)...but it is not intentional. We have booked a case following a complaint lodged by the toddler's father.
Based on the outcome of the investigations, we will proceed further and decide whether to apprehend the minor or not," he said.