BMW hit-and-run case: Main accused Mihir Shah was inebriated, say cops

Mumbai: A probe has found that Mihir Shah, the main accused in the Mumbai hit-and-run case and son of the Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena's politician Rajesh Shah, was in an inebriated state when he allegedly rammed his BMW car into a two-wheeler, killing a woman.

According to the police, Mr Shah and his two friends drank several large pegs of whisky at a bar in Juhu before the accident. He reportedly bought more liquor after leaving the bar and consumed it. He also coerced his driver and co-accused Rajrishi Bidawat to allow him to drive.

In another development in the case on Thursday, the 30-year-old driver was sent to judicial custody for 14 days. Mr Bidawat was produced before chief metropolitan magistrate Sewree court S.P. Bhosale at the end of his police remand.

Mr Shah and Mr Bidawat were interrogated by the police in connection with the case. Both accused are currently in the custody of Mumbai police. Mr Shah (24) has reportedly confessed that he was driving the car at the time of the accident. He reportedly told the police that his career was over because of the incident and that he had made a big mistake. He, though, denied that he was drunk at the time of the accident.

However, the police claim that they have found evidence to prove that he was drunk. “Our probe has found Mr Shah was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident. The crime scene involving the car hitting the two-wheeler and then dragging the victim was recreated to get more details,” a police official said.

“Mr Shah and his driver were confronted to get more clarity about the incident,” the official added.

An investigation team recreated the accident scene in the early hours of Thursday.

A woman, Kaveri Nakhwa (45), was killed and her husband Pradip injured after their two-wheeler was hit from the rear by a BMW allegedly driven by Mr Shah at 5.30 am on Sunday in Worli's Anni Besant Road.

Mr Shah, who was arrested from Virar in the neighbouring Palghar district on Tuesday, is in custody till July 16. His father is also an accused in the case and is currently out on bail.

Mr Shah had been absconding for three days after the accident on July 7. He was arrested on June 9 and produced before a Mumbai court the next day. The court has remanded him to police custody until July 16.

( Source : Deccan Chronicle )
Next Story