Top

Assam Floods Damage Over 26,000 Houses; Relief Payments Underway

CM Himanta Biswa Sarma releases Rs 15,000 each to nearly 97,000 affected families

Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday said an official assessment had found that 26,681 houses were damaged in the floods that hit the state in July, with the overall losses estimated at around Rs 480 crore so far.

Releasing the second phase of immediate interim monetary relief of Rs 15,000 each to flood-affected families in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat districts, Sarma said the state had so far provided the assistance to 96,842 families. The total amount disbursed under the relief programme stands at Rs 146.26 crore.

The latest phase covers another 31,991 families in the four worst-hit districts. Sarma said another 3,000-4,000 families could be included once the beneficiary list is finalised.

According to the ongoing damage assessment, 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged, while 41,000 handloom-related materials have been destroyed. The floods have also resulted in the loss of 5,98,691 domestic animals, while 93,256 farmers have been identified as affected.

Sarma said the first phase of the damage survey would be completed by August 28 or 29. The details would then be uploaded on a web portal, allowing affected families to check whether they had been included and whether the assessment of their losses was accurate.

"Once people give complaints or suggestions, we will start the second phase of the survey around September 10. The details of the second survey will be updated by September 15," he said.

He added that a third survey could also be conducted if required. Once the entire assessment is completed, compensation would be transferred directly to beneficiaries through direct benefit transfer (DBT).

Survey teams have so far assessed losses of around Rs 480 crore, but the final damage could exceed Rs 1,000 crore after the entire process is completed, Sarma said.

The chief minister said that after rehabilitation payments are made, the state government would approach the Centre to provide houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) to eligible affected families in Sivasagar and Charaideo districts.

On financial relief measures, Sarma said 1,712 people had applied for bank loan moratoriums and urged eligible borrowers to submit their applications by August 31. Of the 1,598 insurance claims received so far, 170 have been settled.

He said an ex-gratia payment of Rs 9 lakh was being provided to the next of kin of those who died in the floods. The floods have claimed 104 lives so far, he added.


( Source : Deccan Chronicle )
Next Story