27 Maoists Surrender Before Jharkhand Police in Ranchi
The DGP said the surrendered Maoists would be rehabilitated and reiterated that efforts to eliminate extremism would continue

RANCHI: In a major development, 27 Maoists surrendered before Jharkhand Police in Ranchi on Thursday under “Operation Navjeevan”, officials said.
The surrendered cadres, belonging to the banned CPI (Maoist), laid down 17 weapons and nearly 3,000 rounds of ammunition before senior officers in the presence of Jharkhand DGP Tadasha Mishra. Officials described it as the largest surrender in the state so far.
Among those who surrendered were ‘sub-zonal commander’ Sagen Aangariya alias Dokol, wanted in 123 cases, and JJMP ‘sub-zonal commander’ Sachin Beg.
The DGP said the surrendered Maoists would be rehabilitated and reiterated that efforts to eliminate extremism would continue. CRPF IG Saket Singh appealed to remaining cadres to give up violence and join the mainstream.
Officials said the surrendered cadres were linked to the group led by senior Maoist leader Misir Besra, who carries a bounty of ₹1 crore and is active in the Saranda and Kolhan regions.
Security forces have intensified operations in the Saranda forest to track Besra, described as the last active politburo member of CPI (Maoist). Around 4,000 personnel from CRPF, CoBRA units and Jharkhand Police have been deployed in the area, with additional Advanced Camp Locations and Forward Operating Bases set up to strengthen presence.
According to officials, 22 Maoists have been killed, 44 arrested and 29 have surrendered so far in 2026.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah recently said the number of Naxal-affected districts has reduced significantly, with only a few remaining in the most-affected category.
Security agencies said operations in Saranda are focused on locating Besra, who has evaded arrest since escaping from custody in 2009.

