Trump ‘faces Royal Wedding snub’ hours after pulling out of UK Embassy trip

DECCAN CHRONICLE
Published Jan 13, 2018, 4:18 pm IST
Updated Jan 13, 2018, 5:32 pm IST
Tennis star Serena Williams and even Trump's political enemy Barack Obama are rumoured to be on the shortlist.
Trump recently cancelled a planned visit to Britain next month blaming a
 Trump recently cancelled a planned visit to Britain next month blaming a "bad deal" on the new £750m US embassy. (Photo: AP)

According to new reports the US President will be snubbed from the royal wedding guest-list.

According to a story published in MailOnline, a Royal Household source has allegedly said, ‘The guest list hasn’t yet been announced, there is no reason he would be invited."

 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are due to marry in May after a year long romance and will tie the knot at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Tennis star Serena Williams and even Trump's political enemy Barack Obama are rumoured to be on the shortlist.

The snub, reported by the Daily Mail, would be the second blow to Mr Trump and the UK's relationship.

Trump recently cancelled a planned visit to Britain next month blaming a "bad deal" on the new £750m US embassy.

He took to Twitter to say his first trip to Britain since being elected last year was off amid claims he feared mass street protests and blamed his predecessor Barack Obama for selling off the former embassy in Grosvenor Square "for peanuts".

But hundreds of Brits, including ex-Labour leader Ed Miliband, took to social media to say Trump scrapped the trip because "nobody wanted you to come".

Last night British officials said the visit was canned  for “personal reasons” after a series of perceived slights.

Taking to twitter, Trump wrote, “Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”

And in a bizarre added detail on Friday, a Trump spokesman released a statement saying he had been expected by a White House doctor and is "in excellent health".

The President is also due to meet the Queen in a full state visit at a later date but a source claimed the lack of "bells and whistles" may have put him off coming on the initial visit.

Hundreds have taken to social media to say Trump had backed out because he was "not welcome".

Labor MP Ed Milliband took to the micro-blogging site and wrote,

London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who has repeatedly clashed with Trump, welcomed the cancellation of the trip as well. Khan went on to say in a statement, "It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who love and admire America and Americans, but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city's values of inclusion, diversity and tolerance."

J.K. Rowling accused the President of acting chicken, and Sue Perkins joked that Trump was staying away because he is worried he will screw up the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT