A new study now finds that masturbation kills up to 100 Germans a year. The study has also uncovered the bizarre ways people have died pleasuring themselves.
In a shocking revelation, the study found that one man - wearing pantyhose, a raincoat and a diving suit as well as a plastic bag over his head - died in Hamburg after sitting next to a heater and trying to melt slices of cheese on his body.
It went on to reveal that another man in Halle was found dead with Christmas tree lights clamped to his nipples having apparently tried to stimulate himself by electrocution.
According to a story published in Mail Online, Forensic examiner Harald Vob said the most common reason for autoerotic deaths was the desire for the ultimate orgasm through depriving oneself of oxygen.
He went on to add that between 80 and 100 people across the country accidentally die every year due to risky masturbation practices, his study found.
The study further revealed that for every one million German citizens there are 'one or two' cases of deaths a year in which a prop or device was used to boost stimulation during sexual activity.
In one example, a man was found suffocated in the cellar of his home in Hesse having apparently tied chains around his body and neck.
According to Bild, porn was present and investigators made the assumption that he had suffered an autoerotic death.
Local reports went on to say that a number of similar cases go unreported.
Cases sometimes go unreported because families of victims feel ashamed, Vob added.
The Legal Medicine in Hamburg alone recorded 40 accidental autoerotic deaths between 1983 and 2003 with all victims aged between 13 and 79, The Local reports.
Victims, it turns out, are usually men, since women were 'more cautious and don't incorporate so many intricacies'....