Paragliding for dummies
DECCAN CHRONICLE. | ARAVIND K S
Published Jun 2, 2017, 12:14 am IST
Updated Jun 2, 2017, 12:14 am IST
Pune, Himachal and Sikkim are major paragliding spots in India.
Paragliding is the recreational and competitive adventure sport of flying paragliders
- Paragliding is the recreational and competitive adventure sport of flying paragliders: lightweight, free-flying, foot-launched glider aircraft.
- Anyone aged above 14 is allowed to fly the glider.
- Those below 18 need permission certifcate from their parents.
- Pune, Himachal and Sikkim are major paragliding spots in India.
- The weight of a pilot should not exceed 100 kg.
- For beginners, there is an option called tandem gliding, where the newbie can fly along with an expert. As it is available in tourist spots, tandem gliding is more popular than solo paragliding.
- Those who have high blood pressure will not be allowed to do paragliding.
- Normally, a fresher will be allowed to fly up to around 8000 feet from sea level.
- As it is completely dependent on the direction and strength of the wind, paragliding will not be allowed during rain and other bad weather situations.
- While landing, the pilot has to run for a few seconds as we do when we jump out of a moving bus. This means, the ground chosen for landing should have enough space.