Visakhapatnam: Five suspected anthrax cases have been admitted to King George Hospital (KGH) and their samples have been sent to the microbiology department. The report will come in two days, said Dr G. Krishna Murthy, in-charge superintendent of the hospital. “The five are from Pinapadu village in Chintapalle mandal. They may have contracted anthrax due to consumption of the meat of an infected animal. The toxins are seen on the hands and at the back of the ears of these patients. It may not spread further as treatment is being administered,” he said.
Anthrax is an infection caused by a bacterium that occurs most commonly in animals. According to District Medical and Health Officer R. Ramesh, the five persons are suspected to have cutaneous anthrax, which is not complicated. This form of anthrax could enter the body through a cut or scratch in the skin. Infection usually develops in a week after exposure. Without treatment, 25 per cent of people with cutaneous anthrax may die.