Mumbai: Doctors remove LED bulb from child's lungs

Doctors from Bai Jerabi Wadia hospital remove the bulb in a two minute Bronchoscopy.

A LED-bulb was removed from the lung of a seven-month-old baby girl in a 2-minute Brochoscopy. The girl, Ariba, who originally hails from Chiplun accidentally swallowed a LED bulb while playing with toy mobile.

This led to a persistent cough and fever and her parents took her to local physicians. However, her condition remained unchanged. An X-Ray then revealed foreign body in the Rt Bronchus (Lung). After a week they admitted their child to Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children for treatment.

Speaking about the incident, Dr Divya Prabhat, Head of Department ENT, Bai Jerbai Wadia hospital for children said, “Antibiotics were given and primarily when a bronchoscopy was done the complete bronchus was full of granulation tissue that was on account of the prolonged lodging of this foreign body. An intravenous course of antibiotics and steroids were given for 2 days to clear the infection and granulations of the airway which blocked the foreign body.”

She went on to add, “Following this Bronchoscopy was repeated and within 2 minutes this foreign body (only a wire strand was seen from the scope) was removed using forceps. To our surprise, this happened to be a 2cm LED bulb, which has not been seen after even thousands of copies done here.”

Ariba’s father thanked the hospital and said that they were completely unaware of the fact that their child swallowed LED bulb.”

( Source : deccan chronicle )
Next Story