Are you eating food packed in newspaper? Beware!

Newspapers used for packaged foods are may be contaminated with harmful chemicals like diisobutyl phthalate and di-n-butyl phthalate.

Hyderabad: A recent Facebook post that went viral has shocked many, as it stated that eating food wrapped in newspapers is dangerous to consume.

Many people shared the post along with their own experience of wrapping food items in newspapers and then opening it only to see that a certain portion of the print was wiped clean.

The post which contains the advertisement of the Pune Cantonment Board cautioning the residents reads “General public should stop purchasing eatables (especially fried) packed in newspapers from any vendor.”

Dr Indra Mohan, a senior general physician, said, “Eating food which is packed in newspaper is not good. Newspapers use chemicals which contain a high percentage of lead, the primary component of paint. Consumption of lead in any manner is dangerous for health.”

He said that it was important to make people aware that they must not consume food packed in newspapers. Dr Mohan said that due to a lack of awareness, people accept such packets from roadside vendors, especially those who sell samosas and pakodas.

Nutritionist Sujatha Stephen said, “We should start using butter packing for foods. The ink with which the newspaper is printed affects the stomach, and could cause food poisoning.”

Shaheen Ibrahim, a student, said, “Whenever I am tired of mess food, we go and eat out. The vendors usually pack food in newspapers. We don’t have much choice.”

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) says in an advisory: “Wrapping food in newspapers is an unhealthy practice and the consumption of such food is injurious to health, even if the food has been cooked hygienically.”

( Source : Deccan Chronicle. )
Next Story