Hyderabad: The colour of malachite green which is commonly used in Holi is toxic and a potential carcinogen. People usually think green colour is safe and environment friendly but that’s not the case.
It causes ocular injuries and if ingested when playing can cause uneasiness in the stomach.
Dr B.R.Raju, senior general physician, says artificial colours are made from chemicals and are harmful as they contain lead oxide, copper sulphate, mercury sulphite, chromium iodide and silica in very fine particulate form.
“These create reactions in the skin and eyes and those who ingest them complain of vomiting and uneasiness. For this reason the festival should be enjoyed by using natural colours. Protecting the sensory organs is very important to prevent injuries or allergy problems,” Dr B.R.Raju explained
Some of the powders have caused fungal infections on the skin due to the oxidative stress that these colours cause to the body.
Secondary infections due to the use of artificial colours in terms of redness of eyes and infections in the eye area have also been noted due to alkaline injury....