According to the ‘Sanitary Protection in India 2017’ report by Euromonitor, the feminine hygiene market was valued at US dollar 340 million in 2017 and is expected to grow to dollar 522 million by 2020. Even though dominated by sanitary pads, the feminine hygiene sector is now at the cusp of large-scale innovation.
Moreover, women are now coming forward and asking for better, more convenient and comfortable solutions for period care. An increasing number of women are now leading an active lifestyle. They are delving into careers that require them to remain on the move throughout the day. They are also wholeheartedly embracing outdoor activities and adventure sports with great zeal. Simply put, they aspire to remain on the go at all times – even during their periods.
Further, the average age of attaining puberty is going down. As girls are getting their period at a much earlier age, they require solutions which are safe and do not impact their health. Also with increasing awareness around menstruation in general, an increasing number of women are looking at solutions that cater to their specific needs.
Therefore, they are wholeheartedly embracing innovation in the feminine hygiene sector. This is the impetus that start-ups require to continue innovating and creating products that are much healthier, safer and more convenient for women. Founder and CEO of Visionaari (parent company of FLOH tampons, Gauri Singhal shares insight into the changing scenario of menstruation and use of tampons in India.
Why women should opt for tampons – how is it beneficial and hassle-free, etc?
A tampon is a mass of absorbent material, packed into a shape of a cylinder that goes into the vagina to absorb the menstrual blood. Since blood is absorbed in its site, there is no chance of dripping, leaking, staining or foul odour. With tampons, women can run, jump, swim, do yoga or anything else that they desire. Thus, tampons allow women to remain on the go even during that time of the month.
Moreover, when one wears a tampon, there is less chance of rashes. Thus, they prove to be a better alternative for feminine hygiene. FLOH tampons offer women up to 8 hours of protection and unbridled freedom of movement. Women who have been using tampons for a while tend to forget that they are on their period and continue to be unstoppable go-getters. Simply put, tampons allow women to have a bloody good period.
Highlight the advantages
- Tampons do have a clear cut advantage. These include:
- Zero foul odour
- Freedom from rashes or leakage
- Up to 8 hours of protection
- Better hygiene
- Freedom to run, jump, go cycling or do Yoga
- Leak-free protection
- High absorbent fibre
- Freedom to remain on the go and have the time of your month!
What are the common misconceptions about tampons?
- While tampons are an extremely convenient means of menstrual care, there are several myths and misconceptions associated with the usage of tampons that plague the minds of a lot of women out there.
- Several people believe that tampons can cause women to lose their virginity. Owing to this, young girls are urged not to use tampons. Virginity per se is a societal concept rather than a physical one. A woman who uses tampons cannot lose her virginity at the pretext of a tampon rupturing her hymen. While tampons do not rupture the hymen in most cases, in rare cases if the hymen is ruptured, it doesn’t mean that one has lost their virginity, which is only possible via sexual intercourse.
- Many women worry that the tampon will get stuck in their vagina. On the contrary, tampons are very easy to remove. All women need to do is tug on the string attached to the tampon and pull it out gently.
- Finally, women worry that tampons are uncomfortable. This is quite far from the truth because tampons are made of soft, absorbent material that takes the shape of the vagina and causes no discomfort. Rather, once a tampon is correctly inserted, you cannot even feel that there is anything inside you. In fact, women who have been using tampons for a while claim that they forget that they are even in their period.