The aim is to create awareness of the impact that diabetes has on the family and promoting the role of the family in the management, care, prevention and education of diabetes. Families should be educated to understand the signs of Diabetes which is difficult to understand. Hence, educating the family will help in recognising the warning signs early which will further help in complications related to diabetes in future. Head dietician and nutritionist, Amreen Shaikh, Wockhardt Hospital Mumbai Central shares how diabetes can be well managed for a healthy lifestyle.
If not treated in time, it can lead to severe complications which are not reversible like kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, a stroke which will lead to an early death.
If diabetes is diagnosed and well-managed people can live a long and healthy life.
Simple Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle and prevent Diabetes-
- Regular health checkups to keep a track on blood sugar levels. To get checked for Prediabetes.
- If in Pre diabetic range, consult a qualified Dietician/Diabetes educator who can teach you about using exercise, stress reduction, weight loss and a healthy diet to improve your insulin sensitivity and keep type 2 diabetes from developing.
- Watch your weight.
- Learn to read nutrition labels.
- The blue circle on the product means the product is Diabetes friendly.
- Include food from all food groups, different coloured food (natural coloured fruits/veggies) and whole grains.
- Eat real food and avoid packaged/preserved food.
- Engage in hobbies and sports activities you like.
- Cut down on sugar, salt and fats intake.
- Support your family member who is diabetic and get educated about the symptoms of hypoglycaemia, hyperglycemia and also managing diabetes.