The Indian Premier League 2020

Lifestyle Health and Wellbeing 13 Jul 2018 Parasite in woman� ...

Parasite in woman's spine causes electric shocks in her legs

DECCAN CHRONICLE
Published Jul 13, 2018, 8:08 pm IST
Updated Jul 13, 2018, 8:08 pm IST
Doctors had to perform surgery to remove the insect.
Parasite in woman's spine causes electric shocks in her legs. (Photo: Pixabay)
 Parasite in woman's spine causes electric shocks in her legs. (Photo: Pixabay)

Doctors discovered a woman experiencing electric shocks in her legs was the results of a tapeworm larvae stuck in her spine, the Daily Mail reported.

The 35-year-old French woman had been falling off her horse very often in the span of three months. Over time she began to feel weak and shocks in her legs more often.

 

An MRI scan showed she had parasite infection on one of her vertebrae. The tapeworm is often found living in dogs and sheep.

Doctors performed surgery to remove the insect and the woman also received medication. Media reports reveal she has now made a full recovery.

While it is unclear how she contracted it, it can be transmitted through food or drinking water that is contaminated by dog faeces. Direct contact with the animals can be another contributing factor.

Hydatid disease affects millions and in many cases it affects people's liver or lung. The World Health Organisation (WHO) reveals it can also infect the nerves, bones, kidneys, spleen, muscles and eyes.

 

...




ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT